If the following words are important to you as an educator, consider the PYP! There are many benefits to using the PYP but at the forefront is the IB's focus on development and well-being of the whole child. The PYP's philosophy and approach benefits students, educators, the school community and the wider global community.
Some of the benefits of the PYP:
- student-centred approach to teaching and learning
- builds life-long learners and helps students take responsibility and ownership for their own learning journey
- students are deeply engaged in inquiry, discovery and reflection
- builds teams, as students and teachers co-construct knowledge through an inquiry-based approach to teaching and learning
- learning is meaningful and transferable as students focus on 'big ideas' -on concepts rather than content
- transdisciplinary approach highlights real-life connections between subjects, issues and concepts
- studies have shown that PYP learners have achieved higher academic results than non-IB learners:
- Key findings from global research on the impact of IB Programs
- Science Literacy in the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (PYP): NAP-SL Outcomes
- the PYP leads into the IB's Middle Years Programme (MYP) and the IB's Diploma Programme (DP) -which often results in a very smooth transition into university
- builds a strong sense of community and culture within the school
- becoming an accredited PYP school is a learning journey and demands that educators think about their practice and the purpose behind their approach to teaching and learning
- helps create a better and more peaceful world as the school community focuses on being internationally-minded
More thoughts on WHY schools use the PYP...
Check out which schools in Ontario are PYP accredited: IB Schools of Ontario.
And check out which schools around the world are PYP accredited schools: Globally Accredited PYP Schools.